Friday, March 19, 2010

A Rare Day Off

Last night I realized that I would be able to take today off. Not a day off from work but a day off from the usual routine of my busy days. That meant no running to school, no running to stores and no running anywhere. The entire week went by in a blur of school trips, doctor trips, dropping off kids here and there and just plain busyness. I hadn't had a chance to accomplish the writing goals I had set for myself. So when  I figured out that I would have an entire day free of errands and jumping in and out of my car, I leaped on it!

I actually wrote "Mom's Day Off" on the blackboard that hangs on the kitchen wall. Yup, today for the first time in weeks I would actually have an entire day to myself. I would finally be able to work uninterrupted and accomplish at least some of the goals that were sitting neglected on my 'to do' list all week.

First up was the long overdue synopsis for my newest online workshop, Marketing for The Savvy Writer. I have been teaching a magazine writing workshop online for several years, but after an inquiry from a potential student, I realized I needed to expand. Marketing is one of my favorite jobs and I'm good at it. I've had more than two hundred articles published and I enjoy the challenge of finding the right market for an article. The hardest part of this new workshop was actually finding the time to sit down and put together the synopsis.
Well, check it off! The synopsis is completed and it's about as thorough as can be. I'm now in the process of developing the lessons for the workshop and with a completed synopsis to guide me I'm looking forward to it!

Second due was the updating of my websites. Right now I have four websites that I try to keep up with. I have a copywriting website that I refer potential copywriting clients to. I have a magazine writing site that editors can find out about my nonfiction skills as well as view samples of my work. I also have a fiction writing site that is still under construction but where I hope to include information about books in progress and books that will be coming out. Last but not least I have a website for the two online writing workshops that I teach. With the completion of the marketing workshop synopsis it only made sense that I update the workshop website. It felt great to be able to paste in the newest workshop's information for potential students to view. I jumped from site to site, adding little details and links that I had been meaning to get to.
Big red check there!

And since I was on such a roll I picked up the outline for my novel in progress and fleshed out two new characters and some more details for the setting that I'll need for the next draft. Check, check, check!

While a day off for most people might mean a chance to lay around, nap or read a good book, the rare day off for me means a chance to attack that 'to do' list of mine. With three big red check marks added to my list, I'm enjoying the feeling of accomplishment from a day off well spent.

Now all I need to do is grab the calendar and calculate the next 'day off' that I can find.....I've got a great idea for a new novel if I can just find the time to squeeze it in!

No comments:

Post a Comment